Panigale V4 Club banner

V4s cutting out

31K views 48 replies 26 participants last post by  Mloren 
#1 ·
My bike has cut out while riding a few times now. It went in for a bunch of recalls they said would solve the problem. So today a month after the recalls it did it again. Anyone else having this problem?

#2 ·
By cuts out you mean you lose all throttle response? So when you twist the throttle nothing happens? Or does it go into a "limp mode"?

If thats the case it happened to another Ducati of mine. A 2016 Hyper, and it seems to happen to other models as well. Looks like the new V4 isnt immune this this mystery problem.

#4 ·
I experienced this two days ago at the track, a bunch of times and had to abort my sessions because of it. It happened during heavy throttle in 3rd and 4th gear on straights at around 10k+ RPMs. It felt like the gas was interrupted for a split second each time, like the engine was starved or gurgling, sometimes in a quick series of interrupts. It was unsettling to me and the bike (it's very much not good to have your bike unexpectedly slow down on the racing line in the fast group but thankfully I had no incidents). I know very well what traction control, wheelie control, and rev limiter interventions look and feel like and this was something different. The engine just cuts power for a split second and stutters at high RPMs.

Interestingly, this only happened on my 3rd and 6th session of the day, when I was fairly low on fuel. After I aborted the 3rd session I refilled my gas tank and turned the DQS off then on again and sessions 4 and 5 were fine. Then in Session 6, with low fuel again, on the first straight this happened so I pulled into the pits and called it a day.

My bike has all the software updates and charcoal canister removed and I took it into the shop yesterday for a fix. The tech spit balled some ideas with me and thinks it could be related to the inline valve in the vacuum line that fed the canister, or an issue with the gas tank, and is probably not an issue with the quick shifter sensor. I also don't think it's that sensor as the cut felt different from a shift cut. But we'll see. As I learn more, I'll report back with details.

Aside from this, the bike is an absolute violent, fast, wild animal on the track and I loved it in every way.

#37 ·
I experienced this two days ago at the track, a bunch of times and had to abort my sessions because of it. It happened during heavy throttle in 3rd and 4th gear on straights at around 10k+ RPMs. It felt like the gas was interrupted for a split second each time, like the engine was starved or gurgling, sometimes in a quick series of interrupts. It was unsettling to me and the bike (it's very much not good to have your bike unexpectedly slow down on the racing line in the fast group but thankfully I had no incidents). I know very well what traction control, wheelie control, and rev limiter interventions look and feel like and this was something different. The engine just cuts power for a split second and stutters at high RPMs.

Interestingly, this only happened on my 3rd and 6th session of the day, when I was fairly low on fuel. After I aborted the 3rd session I refilled my gas tank and turned the DQS off then on again and sessions 4 and 5 were fine. Then in Session 6, with low fuel again, on the first straight this happened so I pulled into the pits and called it a day.

My bike has all the software updates and charcoal canister removed and I took it into the shop yesterday for a fix. The tech spit balled some ideas with me and thinks it could be related to the inline valve in the vacuum line that fed the canister, or an issue with the gas tank, and is probably not an issue with the quick shifter sensor. I also don't think it's that sensor as the cut felt different from a shift cut. But we'll see. As I learn more, I'll report back with details.

Aside from this, the bike is an absolute violent, fast, wild animal on the track and I loved it in every way.
Hi, Did you ever find out what the cause of the issue was? I have a 2021 doing a very similar thing in 4th. No engine codes so the dealer is not sure a path forward.

Thank you.

#7 ·
Hey all,

I have the '19 corse and this happened to me after a longish ride last week. Didn't start until after I stopped at the shops for a short period, then on the way home, started to surge, throttle response sluggish. As I revved it a bit, it would cut out. Restarts every time, but within a few minutes, it would do the same again. Checked the fuel cap, had a bit of pressure so went and filled up. Full tank and still the same. Bike has 1000kms and a bit discouraged with the way it's behaving - anyone have any new news???

Cheers

#13 ·
Just got off the phone with my shop. Here's my story and my two cents. My V4 base ran like a top up until I took it in for its first service and for recall SRV-RCL-19-001 CR177 (https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2019/RCSB-19V382-9239.pdf). When I got it back, the tank no longer pressurized and it started running like it was starved for fuel. Sometimes it's just that the power delivery isn't consistent. Sometimes the bike stutters and cuts off like there's a fuel line blockage. The other day on the way home...the reason I took it in to the shop...it cut off 4 times in twenty miles. They can't reproduce the symptoms so Ducati has told them to tell me too bad, so sad, come pick up the bike. They (Ducati, not my shop) suggested I buy a GoPro and wear it at all times so I can video the bike behaving badly if it ever happens again. WT actual F? The service manager says there are four V4 base models in his shop right now and they're in the exact same boat as me. So long story short, I'm going to pick up my bike on Saturday morning and the only thing they've managed to do to it is put more miles on it. The recall was simply removing a small metal ball from inside the filler cap breather. Obviously, the Duc shop won't put it back in. But I'm considering replacing it of my own accord.

This is beyond frustrating.

#15 ·
Any breakthroughs?

I have the same issue with my v4s : 1k miles, when bike gets hot (“normal” hot - 3/5 bars) and after I take a 5-10 min break /pit stop, bike starts chugging, feels starved for fuel intermittently. Also fuel in tank circulates / makes boiling noise even with the key off.

Above mentioned recall is done on my bike / no ball in fuel cap.

Wonder if it would be canister vapors/fuel from tank overflowing in into canister causing too rich of a mixture being sucked back into throttle bodies? Maybe the ball in the fuel cap was preventing actual fuel from entering the canister in addition to hot fumes?

#36 ·
Any breakthroughs?

I have the same issue with my v4s : 1k miles, when bike gets hot (“normal” hot - 3/5 bars) and after I take a 5-10 min break /pit stop, bike starts chugging, feels starved for fuel intermittently. Also fuel in tank circulates / makes boiling noise even with the key off.

Above mentioned recall is done on my bike / no ball in fuel cap.

Wonder if it would be canister vapors/fuel from tank overflowing in into canister causing too rich of a mixture being sucked back into throttle bodies? Maybe the ball in the fuel cap was preventing actual fuel from entering the canister in addition to hot fumes?
Did you fix the problem?

#16 ·
My V4 "S" a Sept '18 build and it has only cut out twice on me but I have had the moments where it runs like a hairy goat and you feel it wants to stall on you so I down shift to keep the revs into the engine mainly in city traffic its going in on Monday 18th for its 12 monthly has 12,000klm on it. I run it exclusively on 98RON but have heard this is no good for the bikes can anyone enlighten me on this matter please why it is. TIA

#17 ·
Riding a 2019 V4R, with Akra full system. The recall work was performed at the time of pipe install. I can't say for a fact that it wasn't cutting out during break-in because i never went to 12k rpm. I do know that when I am in 3rd gear at full throttle the bike cuts out at about 11k-12k. When it does I lose all acceleration...like i bumped into the rev limiter. There is no sign on the display that that I am even near the 16.5 rev limit, with the pipe and up map. I am forced to quick shift to 4th...where I experience no issue with cutting out. It seems to be gear specific.

#38 ·
I also have a 2019 V4R and at my track day yesterday it also did this for the first time. First session was flawless but second and third session no power on the straight. Felt like running on 2 cylinders or limp mode or fuel starvation.

I did tyre calibration to be sure that’s fine and checked all my race settings and they all were fine.

Only thing’s I’ve changed since the previous track was the cnc race fuel cap and flushed the radiator; replaced with distilled water with MoCool from Motul; fitted track fairings and dummy lights. I have 8,000kms on the clocks already and been for more regular services than needed to be because of track use. This was all done at the dealership. Spoke to them and will take the bike back for investigation.

Here we have hot summers and on track it was always on 3bars on temperature gauge. Only in pits it’ll go up to 4bars.

Interesting find. I parked my bike. Had a good lunch at the track and 2 hours later before loading on the trailer.I started her up and took her on the local road and all power was back.

A guy at the track told me with his 1299 was also having a gremlin that no one could explain and a racing mechanic told him to go to ktm and buy a higher pressure radiator cap and that solved his problem but again. He wasn’t experiencing what I did.

My experience was no power and revs only went to 12,000 and slowly. Any news or findings? Fuel starvation? Fuel vacuum? Radiator pressure? Limp mode and why? No warning lights came on no indication or sound that mechanically faulty. Maybe clutch related? But then it would still go to 16,000 revs. It is a dry clutch and not made for traffic use.

Any response would be appreciated.

#18 ·
Thats bizarre gear specific!! mine just has had the suspension update and now wont start properly I know all the tricks waiting for the click after the fuel pump primes etc apparently others are having the same problem we have contacted Ducati waiting for a fix.
It's only when cold 1st up but blow we down today it decided to fire up straight away now I am really confused though it still backfired a few times not a really good sign.

#19 ·
Quick update - I'm still having the issues after an extensive stay and fault finding process with an authorised Ducati dealership, who have been excellent in their dealings with me however still waiting to get to the bottom of it...

I'm hearing a rumour of an updated map that will run a little richer allowing for better start and low rev running, will wait and see what transpires... funnily enough, surging is minimal now, more feeling like cutting out and so I rev the crap out of it and hard to start when cold but every once in a while, it just starts?!?!?!

#21 ·
The non starting issue still reigns supreme it manifested really after the shop did a suspension update into the system sometimes it will fire up but other times its like a T model Ford running on 3 cylinders backfiring when it eventually starts. Two things worry me the load on the battery and starter I only crank it for @5-6 seconds then pause for @15 seconds and the backfiring which I do take as not a cochre thing to be happening.
My shop is brilliant and they have bent over backwards to help me as best they can even got me a LI charger 16 months down the track that was supposed to come with the bike originally, so they are waiting to see the malady fixed elsewhere and then do mine but apart from that it does run smoothly once warmed up.

They have a special on at the shop at present a 2019 V4S for drive away no more to pay $37,590.oo/Au when I got mine in Sept 2018 it was $40,200 +ORC so @$42,000 I considered trading mine in on it but as it is a Generation 1 like most of us have I'll be keeping it.

#22 · (Edited)
I just experienced this. I went in for 1st service, picked it up and it stalled when I pulled in the clutch lever leaving the dealer. I took off thinking it was odd and it felt funny riding down the freeway. I stopped topped off with gas and everything seemed fine. Went to lunch, came out took off and same thing ( died when I pulled in the clutch lever at a stop). I called the dealer and they said to keep an eye on it. I took off and it ran poorly (possibly rich or lean) not a misfire. It ran pooly and I stalled again at a light but restarted and took off down the freeway. Again at a steady rpm it felt like it was loosing power like dragging something. After a few minutes it seemed fine till I got home. It almost seemed like a heat soak issue. Im going to let it sit for an hr now after getting home and take it out to see if it happens again and narrow down the circumstances if possible.

No recalls performed, just the general 1st service

#23 ·
As far as this issues goes what fixed mine which was a the 1199 was to remove the charcoal canister. After that there was no more stalling or hard start issues.

Also once I purchased the V4R I had full ARKA system put on which removes the Charcoal Canister so I never had the issue with the V4R since I took delivery with the Full System already installed. But I did ask the Dealer about the canister and they did say it still give the bikes some issues with hard starting.

Here is some info on the Charcoal Canister. Hope this helps you guys but it's mainly about the 1199 and 1299.
https://ducatiforum.com/threads/how-to-charcoal-canister-removal.12972/page-11#post-328537

#31 ·
I just bought a 2020 V4S and had this happen to me. I was turning into work and right before half way through the turn, the engine stopped.
There was nothing unusual occurring at the time. It was running, then it was not. I was coasting and was able to immediately restart the engine and continue riding.
Thinking of the issue, I think it might be the stand switch. I was breaking hard, and there was a bump in the road. It could have been that the combination of hard braking and the bump was enough to have the switch click, stopping the engine. Just my 2 cents.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.