Panigale V4 Club banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
I notice my bike doing this when stopped in neutral with the cutch out. Honestly I am fine with it. I can't see how it would affect my riding in any way.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bloody **** lads I've just purchased my new v4 and I'm waiting for it to be pdi and delivered some of you make it sound like I've just brought a nightmare

·
Registered
71 Posts
Bloody **** lads I've just purchased my new v4 and I'm waiting for it to be pdi and delivered some of you make it sound like I've just brought a nightmare
I'm fairly certain I said it had no real effect on the fun of the bike, and as others said, doesn't change how you ride it.

Here's my two issues:

1) Sound -- simply an annoyance, it does sound like **** when it goes CDA

2) prolonged effects of reliability/maintenance interval issues because of CDA

The second one I'll admit I know nearly nothing about and need to read more on, but here's where I started...anyone else got any good info?

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0301679X17306035

Honestly anything a car/truck/equip mfg does as far as improvements to a vehicle in the name of EPA or emissions is usually not good for the consumer.

Thus #2 really is the only real concern.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Cylinder drop

The bike sounds like a donkey in estrus when running on two cylinders.

I now have ~1600 kms riding in temps up to 34C in full leathers.

I have also removed those cheap black plastic engine side covers and the second coolant overflow reservoir.

I have NO issues with heat whether stopped, riding in slow traffic or on the road.

If I am allowed to infinitely adjust preload, compression, rebound, steering damper, engine braking, engine response, ABS, wheelie control, slide control, etc, why the he*l can I not turn off the god-damned two cylinder kill bullsh*t?

Reactions: Panzer07

·
Registered
2 Posts
Picked up my brand new v4 today after a great 110 mile run home the bike started to play up I think it was to do with theses rear cylinders shutting down after 2 miles I pulled over switched the bike off for 5 minutes then started it up again and all was ok,I can only discribe the bike rode like it was running out of petrol. One thing I will say is the bike I picked up today does not ride anything like the v4 I road tested 6 weeks ago around town and in heavy traffic does anyone know whether this rear cylinder up date can be removed from my bike???

·
Registered
62 Posts
Had something strange happen with the demo bike I rode. I rode around a corner on a city street and the engine felt like it was just out of gas and dying. I pulled in the clutch and gave it some gas and it finally got back to normal. No low gas light on. Also I don't think that bike was just running on two cylinders. I have no idea what was going on with that bike. It was a couple of months ago. My purchased bike does run on two cylinders when in neutral. So far no issues with it. I can hear it switch to two cylinders even when rolling to a stop in neutral but it works OK. So I am not sure your problem is because us the two cylinder feature.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have had mine for a few months now, first service has been done and the only time mine goes into 2 cylinder mode is while I am waiting at a stop light.

As soon as I start letting the clutch out all 4 cylinders start working. The only change is in the sound.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My bike is doing exactly the same. It wants to stall sometimes. Like dirty fuel or no fuel. It’s had all the updates done too

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think the bike is brilliant. Shouldn’t affect while moving. Only during idle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Lads, I've done 2,400km with no problems with the 2 cylinder shut down in neutral at the lights (I think its under s certain number of revs?) My Dealer said it was to reduce heat, but either way it doesn't bother me unless it affects the longevity of the engine. I can't imagine giving up the new bench mark in this category because of it, that's for sure. Options to keep 4 cylinders running include holding in the clutch or just riding.

Reactions: killacanuck

·
Registered
9 Posts
Anybody have the specific conditions that the cylinders cut out? I know it's at idle (up to what Rev?). Didn't realize it doesn't work when the clutch is pulled. I always have my clutch pulled-in in first gear at traffic lights. Maybe that's why I didn't feel it yet?

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Anybody have the specific conditions that the cylinders cut out? I know it's at idle (up to what Rev?). Didn't realize it doesn't work when the clutch is pulled. I always have my clutch pulled-in in first gear at traffic lights. Maybe that's why I didn't feel it yet?
It works with clutch pulled in even in gear but has to be all the way in or about 10mm out from all the way in after the warranty recall on the clutch kit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I was wondering if any of you are software developers and also motorcycle riders. I've been reading for example about how Qualcomm smartphone chips have different firmware releases, going back for literally every phone model and variation and possible setting or quirk that has come up. Perhaps that is one way to address this issue?

From a software perspective it might be simpler to just have one major release, however, for example by including this advanced cylinder shutdown feature only. I was thinking another possibility would be to have releases in the free software tradition where users (experts) could have the freedom to share the releases, modify them, and so on. Ducati would still have the upstream responsibility or ability to put out a validated or mainline release for riders to choose from.

I'm interested in a Panigale V4S someday, I'm not a Ducati owner yet. Hopefully you guys get this worked out to your satisfaction.

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Hi, I was wondering if any of you are software developers and also motorcycle riders. I've been reading for example about how Qualcomm smartphone chips have different firmware releases, going back for literally every phone model and variation and possible setting or quirk that has come up. Perhaps that is one way to address this issue?

From a software perspective it might be simpler to just have one major release, however, for example by including this advanced cylinder shutdown feature only. I was thinking another possibility would be to have releases in the free software tradition where users (experts) could have the freedom to share the releases, modify them, and so on. Ducati would still have the upstream responsibility or ability to put out a validated or mainline release for riders to choose from.

I'm interested in a Panigale V4S someday, I'm not a Ducati owner yet. Hopefully you guys get this worked out to your satisfaction.
What issue... lol... it's a feature now :p

Doubt that would ever happen; purely on a liability concerns. Kinda different if your phone fails all of a sudden because you modified the firmware but another when your bike craps out at 180mph

·
Registered
14 Posts
Picked up my brand new v4 today after a great 110 mile run home the bike started to play up I think it was to do with theses rear cylinders shutting down after 2 miles I pulled over switched the bike off for 5 minutes then started it up again and all was ok,I can only discribe the bike rode like it was running out of petrol. One thing I will say is the bike I picked up today does not ride anything like the v4 I road tested 6 weeks ago around town and in heavy traffic does anyone know whether this rear cylinder up date can be removed from my bike???
Are you sure the bike is in the same setup mode i.e. street, race or track plus the infinite settings inside each mode check with where you test drove it

·
Registered
10 Posts
Doesn't bother me, it just sounds a little different when I'm stopped in the paddock. I actually kind of like it, but I also love hearing slides on Keihin FCRs rattling away. I don't street ride mine, so maybe it would be more of an annoyance there. Amazing bike regardless.

·
Registered
71 Posts
This is more common than you think. I had an experience like this start on my bike around 4,600 miles (didn't happen before that) and it would happen enough the bike would violently buck you a bit. Felt just like running out of gas, then gas just getting dumped back in and it fired right up (causing the buck) but would happen 4-5 times in a matter of seconds and then stop for a bit.

I have plenty of video of it luckily.

The techs do not think its the 2 cylinder shut down, it's something to do with the exhaust system and them playing games to pass the Euro4 emissions from what we can tell.

·
Registered
3 Posts
@oleary
I really feel for your situation and side with your dissatisfaction about being forced to update without your consent.
As I have mentioned previously, the rear cylinder shut down thing should be option-able where it could be enabled or disabled by the user.
Hopefully, Ducati will re-update it as such soon to allow the owner to choose his preference although that does not help you right now.
I agree let the owner decide, make it and option. I had my bike delivered on Friday, she's parked up until I find an answer, I will continue to ride my 2017 1299 Panigale.

·
Registered
35 Posts
In the summer time I noticed the change when the two back cylinders drop off it may only be a degree or two cooler but its better than nothing.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts