Panigale V4 Club banner

Clutch grinding noise from a stop

6K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  whitespc 
#1 ·
Anybody experiencing this? completely normal?

From a stop, especially from a cold start, in 1st gear when taking off from a stop and while slowly letting go of the clutch lever, i hear a grinding noise.
It seldom happens btw, usually when the bike is just started. It goes away once i fully let go of the clutch lever. No issues when shifting or at full throttle, no slipping or anything.

Bike is a V4 Panigale. It is my first ducati, so please enlighten me. Thanks!

#2 ·
I have the same on my 2019 Panigale V4. Happens only when bike is cold (over 8 hours from last ride). If I turn the bike on and just start to ride its quite rough noise and and the clutch grabs. Hard to make smooth take off. But after riding couple minutes it goes away.

If I let the bike to warm up to 5 minutes when started, pull the clutch few times and increase the revs few times then I don’t experience the grabbiness and noise. I have reasoned that the oil needs to get warmed and circulating into the clutch and then its smooth.

I just took the bike to yearly service, and I asked the service to take a look of it to check if its normal. I can post update when I hear back from the service.

#4 ·
I have had also an issue with air getting into the clutch system so the dealer wanted to sort out that first and ordered hydraulic line + banjo bolts kit from Ducati. But then this virus mess hit, getting the kit seemed to take time and I was getting worried if they have to shut down the shop and my bike would get stuck. So I got the bike back before the kit arrived. I need to get the bike bike back to service some day.

To me the issue seems to be that the clutch is grabby before oil circulates to the clutch plates. I now let the bike to warm for 2-3 minutes, pull the clutch lever and increase the revs to 5000-6000 rmp couple times. Doing this the grabbines and grinding noise is very minimal and happens only on the first take off. They changed oil in the service, so new oil or different brand etc may also have a factor. So to me the issue is now in the category of ”character” of Italian motorcycles 😉

#5 ·
Anybody experiencing this? completely normal?

From a stop, especially from a cold start, in 1st gear when taking off from a stop and while slowly letting go of the clutch lever, i hear a grinding noise.
It seldom happens btw, usually when the bike is just started. It goes away once i fully let go of the clutch lever. No issues when shifting or at full throttle, no slipping or anything.

Bike is a V4 Panigale. It is my first ducati, so please enlighten me. Thanks!
Have you checked your engine oil level?