V4s won't start - brand new - Ducati Panigale V4 Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

V4s won't start - brand new

Hi Everyone,

I just picked up a new V4S yesterday from my local dealer.

When I went to leave my office last night to go home and it was turning over but not starting. It finally started after about 5 minutes of trying.
The same thing happened this morning.

Funny thing is it also sounds like there is engine knock once it does start (until it warms up)
Also, it seems to only be an issue when the engine is cold... after I'm able to start it once, it seems as though I can turn it off and start it back up again effortlessly.
I'm worried about damaging a brand new bike that I am trying to "break in"..

Luckily, I let my dealer know earlier today and they've already taken steps get it in to fix it... very frustrated, though...Less than 100km's on it...
I've owned two 899's and never had such issues.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Thanks
post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 08:52 AM

Sorry to hear about this. Always frustrating with a bran new toy. Did you check the kickstand by chance? Other owners have had similar issues getting their bike to start and that's due to the killswitch that's placed there. Let us know what the dealer reports.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyboy View Post
Sorry to hear about this. Always frustrating with a bran new toy. Did you check the kickstand by chance? Other owners have had similar issues getting their bike to start and that's due to the killswitch that's placed there. Let us know what the dealer reports.
thanks for the suggestion - would the bike even try to turn over if the killswitch is active?

My bike turns over like it wants to start... other kickstand sensors don't let you even try to start it.
Also, there was no "kickstand indicator" popping up on the display.
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

So apparently the tech says that there's nothing wrong with the bike- they are sending it back to me today.

Hoping that it just works... I just bought the thing- don't want issues, just want it to start when I need it to.

Will post up if problem persists... hopefully it just runs and I can move on with enjoying my bike.
Bikeman and Panzer07 like this.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 01:44 PM

next time, turn on the bike and let it sit for a little while, then start it up. I had the same issue until I did this.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 09:33 AM

Fingers crossed you get the opportunity to get some decent seat time on it now. Did you dealer mention what exactly they tested to confirm everything is in working order?
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 01:53 PM

Some weeks ago I went to start the bike after not riding it for a week. I washed it first, the bike would turn over, attempt to start but would not stay on. I tried 2-3x, then shut off the bike. It was similar to having a weak battery. Left the bike for 20 minutes, went to start it up again, same problem. Now Iím upset, walked back into the house, tried 1 more time. This time it started up no problem.

Went to the dealer, they told me if I donít ride it regularly this could happen. I get it, but not with a bike that was 3 months old with a new battery. Have not had a problem since.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 02:13 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by themightye View Post
Some weeks ago I went to start the bike after not riding it for a week. I washed it first, the bike would turn over, attempt to start but would not stay on. I tried 2-3x, then shut off the bike. It was similar to having a weak battery. Left the bike for 20 minutes, went to start it up again, same problem. Now Iím upset, walked back into the house, tried 1 more time. This time it started up no problem.

Went to the dealer, they told me if I donít ride it regularly this could happen. I get it, but not with a bike that was 3 months old with a new battery. Have not had a problem since.
well if it's the V4S then yeah the battery will completely drain within 2 weeks (mine did while in the shop for that long). The S comes w/ a lithium ion battery, has a lot of crank but can't hold a long charge, and w/ the bike always having power to some components... you need to hook it up to a tender if you're not going to ride it.
Desmo likes this.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 12:55 PM

I can understand this happening over the course of a few weeks, but Kibosh has indicated less than 24 had passed before have issues getting the bike to turn over. I do think hooking it up to a tender is a great suggestion.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themightye View Post

went to the dealer, they told me if i donít ride it regularly this could happen.
Utter horsesh*t!!!!

2008 S4RS Tricolore
2008 848>1040 (track)
2011 MTS S-Touring
2014 1199S Panigale (track)
2018 V4S Panigale (track)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page