Engine shut down 3rd gear light throttle?! - Ducati Panigale V4 Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 07:54 AM Thread Starter

Engine shut down 3rd gear light throttle?!

Hi all,

I took delivery of my V4S last week and absolutely love it!!

Today i took the bike on its first proper ride (around 120km/75Mi). and was riding in quite warm conditions. I noticed once i got caught in traffic and was riding around 70km/h (35MPH) in 3rd gear the bike felt like it shuts down.... When i say that the bike doesn't decelerate, and maintains speed but the bike sounds like its gone silent (relatively) and as soon as you add throttle it barks loudly again with nil issues. At first i thought this was related to the rear cylinder shut down however it only happens in 3rd gear. Apart from the lack of engine noise the bike otherwise feels normal....

I guess my questions are:

-has anyone else experienced this?
-if so is it normal and what is actually happening ie shutting down cylinders or an exhaust valve to make it quiet?
-do ducati have any official information on this if this is indeed a feature?

Look forward to your responses

cheers

Aaron
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

Good news!!

I went to my local Ducati service centre today and I was told itís the exhaust valve kicking in (euro 4 emissions crap)

Hopefully there will be an exhaust valve elimination kit released as I like my bike loud 100% of the time
EtheDucatista likes this.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 09:18 AM

Glad to hear that there's nothing wrong with your bike and surprised that we haven't heard more euro owners complain about this. Suppose these kinds of restrictions have become pretty common.
EtheDucatista likes this.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 09:28 AM

Really hate that these kinds of regulations have even found their way into premium models. I think it's kind of ridiculous when spending this kind of coin on a bike, to have to turn to aftermarket just to get the proper stock sound.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 02:31 PM

Garage
A few questions for you .... why would you be in third gear in this bike only doing 35mph? I would feel like your very much undershifting this bike ... Second , Can you explain what your experiencing in more detail? Are you loosing power ?? Is the bike acting funny ....

grip bars , grab throttle and twist !
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 09:42 AM

From what I'm understanding, its just a noticeable change in the exhaust note. Looks like EU owners will have to turn to aftermarket for a workaround.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 05:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by German4rings View Post
A few questions for you .... why would you be in third gear in this bike only doing 35mph? I would feel like your very much undershifting this bike ... Second , Can you explain what your experiencing in more detail? Are you loosing power ?? Is the bike acting funny ....
I don’t normally sit in 3rd gear at those speeds but the bike certainly will happily cruise at that speed (4000rpm). I have only done it in heavy traffic when the bike is getting warm.

There is no loss of power, there is no change in engine feel ie vibration etc it only happens on very light throttle (less than 20% throttle, below 5000rpm and only in 3rd gear). The only noticeable thing that happens is the bike virtually becomes silent (very quiet exhaust note) then as soon as throttle is applied or down shift to second gear the bike then ‘barks’ back to life (sound wise) but the bike certainly rides fine in ‘silent’ mode.

I totally agree with the comments regarding the disappointment surrounding the EURO 4 noise crap.... but at least the bike still sounds great for a factory bike outside of this one parameter. They have clearly added this to get around sound/emission laws

Cheers

Aaron

Last edited by GrimV4; 08-04-2018 at 05:51 AM.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 07:52 AM
tyr

Alright, so I thought I was lucky and avoided most of the issues with the V4 reported here by others, but I'm around 4700 miles now and in the last 200 miles I've experienced a few things I wish I hadn't.

The DQS stopped working during one ride (did not get the DQS err, but same symptoms, turning the bike off and back on allowed me to use the QS again without issue).

Second, yesterday I noticed power loss while in 3rd (and I think 4th later on, I have to review all my footage).

Here is a short clip, you can hear it at 7 seconds in (I am constant throttle). It happens again (I think it even happened over the bridge, but that could have been bumpy) and I move into the other lane as I thought the thing was going to die completely. Went along for a bit, then it happened again. Got off the highway, turned it off, back on, and I don't think I saw it happen again...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/GZtJLSPmFspj2hBG8
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 02:06 AM

I posted a similar experience, but I was at much lower speed/rpm when it happened. The first thing I did was look back at my back wheel too as it felt like it went flat for a second, just like in that video.
https://www.panigalev4club.com/forum...ing-along.html
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 02:33 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyr View Post
Alright, so I thought I was lucky and avoided most of the issues with the V4 reported here by others, but I'm around 4700 miles now and in the last 200 miles I've experienced a few things I wish I hadn't.

The DQS stopped working during one ride (did not get the DQS err, but same symptoms, turning the bike off and back on allowed me to use the QS again without issue).

Second, yesterday I noticed power loss while in 3rd (and I think 4th later on, I have to review all my footage).

Here is a short clip, you can hear it at 7 seconds in (I am constant throttle). It happens again (I think it even happened over the bridge, but that could have been bumpy) and I move into the other lane as I thought the thing was going to die completely. Went along for a bit, then it happened again. Got off the highway, turned it off, back on, and I don't think I saw it happen again...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/GZtJLSPmFspj2hBG8
Just to clear up anything, there's no chance your foot covered the shift lever and barely touched it at any of those moments right?
There is always the chance the QS is loose or something and the slightest vibrations starting to set it off? Like if you don't commit to a shift or not accelerating/decelerating and try to shift that would happen where it won't let you shift but tried to start rev matching. Just my thoughts on it not that it is the issue. Of course if it is loose or bad QS, try to get a new one before the warranty runs out I haven't been able to ride much since I got my new QS 2 days ago but riding home from the dealership it felt better but only time will tell.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page