How good is your steering damper - Ducati Panigale V4 Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By simplythebest
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Unread 08-17-2019, 07:26 AM Thread Starter

How good is your steering damper

Most of the corners on my track are 2nd gear, and when I shift to 3rd the front pops up a bit and the I start getting a wobble... NOT a tank slapper, jest the beginning of one.
I just ride it out, but its unsettling.

Tried playing with the settings, but not luck so far. Is the lack of high speed and low speed damping an issue?

Anyone one facing similar issues and found a way to make it work?

Thanks!
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Unread 08-17-2019, 09:50 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplythebest View Post
Most of the corners on my track are 2nd gear, and when I shift to 3rd the front pops up a bit and the I start getting a wobble... NOT a tank slapper, jest the beginning of one.
I just ride it out, but its unsettling.

Tried playing with the settings, but not luck so far. Is the lack of high speed and low speed damping an issue?

Anyone one facing similar issues and found a way to make it work?

Thanks!

From the sounds of it something in your suspension isnít dialed in right ..... what does your suspension settings look like ? Did you stiffen up the steering damper ?? Mine is dialed in great . I never get any head shake at all.

grip bars , grab throttle and twist !
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Unread 09-02-2019, 07:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by German4rings View Post
From the sounds of it something in your suspension isnít dialed in right ..... what does your suspension settings look like ? Did you stiffen up the steering damper ?? Mine is dialed in great . I never get any head shake at all.
You are right. Thanks.

On acceleration, the back was too soft as I took a lot of preload off.

So when I gas up, the back 'squats' for want of a better word. and its not a wobble, just my hands not keeping the bars straight.

Added more compression, and I'm trying to focus on keeping my hands a bit firmer on exit. As usually I leave them reasonably loose through the corner.

Thanks for the help

God, this bike is a too fast for me when you want to push it!
Ride it slow and steady like a 600 and the times are great!
German4rings likes this.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Unread 09-02-2019, 04:56 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplythebest View Post
You are right. Thanks.

On acceleration, the back was too soft as I took a lot of preload off.

So when I gas up, the back 'squats' for want of a better word. and its not a wobble, just my hands not keeping the bars straight.

Added more compression, and I'm trying to focus on keeping my hands a bit firmer on exit. As usually I leave them reasonably loose through the corner.

Thanks for the help

God, this bike is a too fast for me when you want to push it!
Ride it slow and steady like a 600 and the times are great!
Also, remember if you grip the bars too tightly any shake or wobble you have will be increased by over tightening on the bars .... you want to grip firmly but not too tight and actually allow the bike to correct itself when you get a bit of head shake . Itís always that fine line of not having the damper to loose as to not control the shake or too tight to not be able to steer the bike easily ... good luck . Also I have the great setup for the S suspension depending on how much you weigh . Let me know if your interested .

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Unread 09-08-2019, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by German4rings View Post
Also, remember if you grip the bars too tightly any shake or wobble you have will be increased by over tightening on the bars .... you want to grip firmly but not too tight and actually allow the bike to correct itself when you get a bit of head shake . Itís always that fine line of not having the damper to loose as to not control the shake or too tight to not be able to steer the bike easily ... good luck . Also I have the great setup for the S suspension depending on how much you weigh . Let me know if your interested .

I'd like to hear what suspension settings you use for the track. I'm around 170 lbs with gear
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 09:19 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertH View Post
I'd like to hear what suspension settings you use for the track. I'm around 170 lbs with gear
Being 170lbs with gear I would say the Dave moss settings for street would be a great place to start for you as far as track settings go . It would be a great base setup to start from . If you have a GoPro and a zip tie you should be able to dial in the front very easily with minimal time/effort ... I would run a session on the track and film the front end . If itís starting to bottom out I would increase the compression by a chick or two and film it again. You want your front fork to obviously be working in the mid stroke of the suspension travel and not bottoming on you . Where is your bike set to right now ?