Panigale eats tires for breakfast , lunch , and dinner WTF !!! - Page 2 - Ducati Panigale V4 Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 08:13 PM

German4rings, how were the Michelin Power RS tyres ? I have those on 2 other bikes and think they're great.

Did you get the same sizes ? 200/60 rear ?

I'm also interested to know what you were doing to wear the tyre down to the steel belts in the centre, exactly ? Lots of burnouts ??
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertH View Post
German4rings, how were the Michelin Power RS tyres ? I have those on 2 other bikes and think they're great.

Did you get the same sizes ? 200/60 rear ?

I'm also interested to know what you were doing to wear the tyre down to the steel belts in the centre, exactly ? Lots of burnouts ??
I love this Michelin power RS on the Panigale v4s . I was just riding the bike on the streets very aggressively. I do not do burnouts . The Pirelliís are just super soft and honestly I think they need to update the tire . They do not last at all and itís just a scam if you ask me . The Michelinís are a duel compound tire and the centers of the Pirelli are just weak I guess .... I will report back after I eat these Michelinís up with a mileage update to compare and contrast .... I was feeling like the pirelli would square off way too fast and would leave the bike feeling much harder to turn .

grip bars , grab throttle and twist !
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by German4rings View Post
I love this Michelin power RS on the Panigale v4s . I was just riding the bike on the streets very aggressively. I do not do burnouts . The Pirelliís are just super soft and honestly I think they need to update the tire . They do not last at all and itís just a scam if you ask me . The Michelinís are a duel compound tire and the centers of the Pirelli are just weak I guess .... I will report back after I eat these Michelinís up with a mileage update to compare and contrast .... I was feeling like the pirelli would square off way too fast and would leave the bike feeling much harder to turn .
Quick update . This Michelin power R/S is working very well. I honestly canít say I notice any difference between the stock Pirelli tires performance wise . I can see that the tire life seems to be very good and Iím expecting a 25% to 50% increase in rear tire mileage ..... Bare in mind as well that the Michelin tires are about $100 less expensive per set then the Pirelli as well.

grip bars , grab throttle and twist !
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 07:26 PM

New V3 Pirellis out

New Pirelli V3's out.

The DOT is quite a bit taller then the 200/55 it replaces. and similar to the 200/60 slick, if even a bit taller. More like a 65 series tire.

new V3 slick on the far left. FYI, my Pitbull stand was not tall enough to run the new V3 slick and a tire warmer. Pitbull will need to make adjustments for the new bikes/tires.

William
Santa Cruz, Ca
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pirelli V3.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	218.1 KB
ID:	860  

William Ow
Santa Cruz, Ca
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Ow View Post
New Pirelli V3's out.

The DOT is quite a bit taller then the 200/55 it replaces. and similar to the 200/60 slick, if even a bit taller. More like a 65 series tire.

new V3 slick on the far left. FYI, my Pitbull stand was not tall enough to run the new V3 slick and a tire warmer. Pitbull will need to make adjustments for the new bikes/tires.

William
Santa Cruz, Ca
Pit bull makes an ďeliteĒ stand which allows you to clear the larger rear tire with warmers. I just ordered from them directly and this was the info given to me by them.
William Ow likes this.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 03:50 PM

Garage
I've certainly found this out myself. As of today my bike only has 500 miles on it, and I only use it on the track. COTA is a horsepower hog and two sets of DOT tires were totally overwhelmed by the horsepower this thing has.
After having fun playing with the traction control all morning I could see the brand new Dunlop Q4s were so badly worn they wouldn't survive the rest of the day. I fitted my spare rear wheel with the stock pirelli during the lunch break and it wore just as fast. I had a set of pirelli slicks (medium front & rear) fitted that evening and they survived the following day with enough life left for another 5 track days (at much slower tracks) in the last 3 weeks. They still have about 25% life left, enough for the rest of the season.

Moral of the story - DOT tires cant handle the power. Use a medium compound rear slick and you'll get great traction and good life span. If you're riding this beast on the street, good luck...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dunlop and pirelli DOTs.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	159.7 KB
ID:	866   Click image for larger version

Name:	new pirellis cota.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	153.1 KB
ID:	868  
William Ow likes this.

2019 Panigale V4 Corse|2002 MV Agusta F4S|2013 aprilia RSV4 Factory|2006 Ducati Monster 620|2002 KTM 520SMR|1963 BMW R5|1996 Suzuki RGV250
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 12:17 AM

Quote:
This is the second set of Pirelli’s I will be replacing with less than 5k on the bike . I love the tires but man they are not great on tire life . I make it a habit of replacing the fronts when the tears are shot . Just a personal preference of mine but . This is the second rear tire that down to the steel belting in the center . Pirelli should really make the centers a little bit more durable . This is getting outta hand . Also , this bike hasn't seen a track day yet . Interested in any ones feedback , personal experience or if anyone has switched to another tire .

Yep. First world problem. My Monster 1200R chewed right through the OEM Supercorsa in no time and that bike did not have the HP that your Pani has. However, it does have similar torque. I replace the SC two notches down with Rosso 3's.

Why not get a second set of wheels with SC or slicks for the track and mount longer lasting street tires for everyday riding?
I was actually surprised to read that many UK guys are using Sport Touring tires on their Panigale's. Most likely because Supercorsa's suck in bad weather but they're getting a lot more miles out of those also.

2018 Multistrada 1260 Pikes Peak
2016 Monster 1200 R

2016 Panigale 959
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 10:56 PM

my 2019 with with the new V3 SC1 Super Corsas
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5432.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	319.4 KB
ID:	884   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5430.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	181.3 KB
ID:	886  

William Ow
Santa Cruz, Ca
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Quick update . This Michelin power R/S is working very well. I honestly canít say I notice any difference between the stock Pirelli tires performance wise . I can see that the tire life seems to be very good and Iím expecting a 25% to 50% increase in rear tire mileage ..... Bare in mind as well that the Michelin tires are about $100 less expensive per set then the Pirelli as well.

It's all about vanity and marketing. Ducati knows their clientele. They have to put the best of the best sticky tires to feed the egos of their buyers even knowing that most are riding on the street in situations far removed from track utopia. Moreover, they profit through tire manufacturer contractual arrangements for repeat OEM business.

Truth be told, SuperCorsa's suck on the street for most conditions. They suck when it's colder, They suck in the wet and they suck for mileage. But truth be dammed, they look good at the coffee shop.

2018 Multistrada 1260 Pikes Peak
2016 Monster 1200 R

2016 Panigale 959
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 04:01 PM

Running Pirelli SC2 on my bike with warmers but the key thing is to use warmers.
You get a lot of more trackdays out of a set with warmers.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page