Panigale V4 Club banner

Dave Moss on the V4 suspension

30K views 34 replies 12 participants last post by  thekiwiguy 
#1 ·
#4 ·
I was sitting on the V4 today. I can't yet comment on the stiffness of the suspension but the riding position is perfect for my 5'8" frame. It's actually more comfortable around the knee area than my 959 which could benefit from rear-sets as the pegs are 1/2 inch too low for my legs.

#7 ·
Bought a V4s yesterday. I still need to read more about the sag. The Ohlins suspension defaults to dynamic mode so reacts in an active way to the road. I did a twisty ride on the way home and found it really nice. Not at all too stiff. The suspension can be set up pretty much any way you want including full manual mode where you can enter suspension values via the instrument panel just like using clickers. I went for the S model just because of the suspension.

#8 ·
Did you ever find out any info on stock rates were?

This chart from Ducati Omaha seems to show a range of replacement springs:

75 N/mm = < 165 lbs.
80 N/mm = 165-185 lbs.
85 N/mm = 185-205 lbs.
90 N/mm = 205-225 lbs.
95 N/mm = 225-245 lbs.
100 N/mm = >245 lbs.

(https://www.ducatiomaha.com/products/ohlins-shock-spring-panigale-sachs)

Knowing the stock rear stiffness would help in choosing a new rear spring...

#11 ·
V4S suspension

I set the sag to 25 mm front and 15 mm rear (rear shock has 10 mm of preload according to Dave) which is the same as Dave did to my 1199S.

Full "out" on the forks was 28 (short) turns on the left leg and 15 turns on the right.

I got the desired sag on the front with 12 turns on both legs.

The rear shock I turned out two full turns.

Although I got the sag I wanted the spring rate is still too hard for my liking.

I haven't played with the (dynamic) compression and rebound, .... yet.

We will be on the track July 8th so I will be able to get a better idea of how she works.

FYI, I am about 190 pounds with gear.

I, too, would like to hear Dave's comments on the S suspension.

#13 ·
Dumb question. Can you just turn the preload adjusters on the front fork? Seems like those rubber caps would turn with the adjusters. Manual says have the dealer do it. I have not even measured my preload yet but do not want to touch those preload adjusters on the fork until I understand how to do it.

I set the sag to 25 mm front and 15 mm rear (rear shock has 10 mm of preload according to Dave) which is the same as Dave did to my 1199S.

Full "out" on the forks was 28 (short) turns on the left leg and 15 turns on the right.

I got the desired sag on the front with 12 turns on both legs.

The rear shock I turned out two full turns.

Although I got the sag I wanted the spring rate is still too hard for my liking.

I haven't played with the (dynamic) compression and rebound, .... yet.

We will be on the track July 8th so I will be able to get a better idea of how she works.

FYI, I am about 190 pounds with gear.

I, too, would like to hear Dave's comments on the S suspension.

#17 ·
Set the sag on my V4s yesterday. Used the Ohlins method where first you measure the full extension of the fork with the wheel off the ground then the extension with both bike and rider. So that includes the free sag of just the bike. I grabbed some setting from an R1 online which is probably ball park. Free sag with just the bike was around 30mm FYI which is also in the ball park. Ohlins lists between 30 and 50mm of sag with both bike and rider. I set mine at around 40 which is 5 turns in from full out on each fork. I measured approx 14 turns of adjustment on each fork. Mine came from the dealer at 2 turns in from full out and felt OK for the two rides I have done. Certainly not too harsh. I have not found anything online about adjusting the sag on these particular forks.

#18 ·
I've had the V4S for 4 days now, about 275miles on it all by me :p
Did open her once, some backroads but not pushing it at all... I am 5'10" 175lbs and the suspension is definitely more for track right out the gate, preload could be taken out just a turn or 2 but out of box it was still good for street, and Maryland/DC roads suck including the highways lots of bumps. The dynamic suspension seems to be doing it's thing just not on the very first bump or 2 if you switch conditions. But out of box I would say it's ready to hit the track for my weight... Dynamic suspension just needs to kick in.

As for the grips and riding position... it's freaking perfect for me; I was a little pissed they didn't have adjustable rearsets for this but the feet higher up and everything locking into place naturally is what I go for and usually try to do on my bike anyways. This just made things easier to hold onto w/ the thighs when riding.

#19 ·
new trailer is out for V4S suspension evaluation, the full video is on their site but you have to subscribe. I watched the full video off their site and he said the stock V4S rear suspension spring rate is too much for anyone under 180lbs. Dave had to remove 3 turns to get some static sag in the rear. Given that, the stock spring rate that comes on the bike is 95 N/mm which is rated for 160-180lbs. How come Dave had to take almost all the preload out for a 180lb rider? I weigh 160 and I'm trying to see if I need something softer in the rear. I'll have to measure sag tomorrow to see where I can get it.

#20 ·
So, we did our first track day

Power: Coming from an 1199S with full Akra the V4S is not that scary fast.

DWC: You can do AWESOME loooong wheelies out of corners and look totally cool doing it! 😎

DES: Work do do here. I set the sag at 25/15 but the rear is still way too stiff the front is diving significantly.

I have now set it up using Dave Moss's most recent excellent vid on the subject.

Interesting that we have two very separate choices, one totally controlled by you and one (after setup) totally controlled by the computer.

More playing required, I think. 🤔

#21 ·
I just watched his video and did some recon on my bike which is the v4s . He is spot on on the bike . Rear is hard as a rock and front is soft as heck. I love the way I feel on the bike now . I have about 2800 miles on it . I weight about 170 lbs without here . I’m going to follow his adjustments accordingly and go see how this thing feels and report back ASAP!
Ps I paid for $40 bucks for full access and I’m very glad I did

#23 ·
Did you add the preload in the computer? or on the top of the front forks manually ? Or both? If both please detail if possible . I ask because in the video it seemed like he only played with the electronics but showed how to adjust on the fork tops.... thanks

#25 ·
yeah preload is manually set, front is pretty much all the way out to begin w/ like 1 1/2 turn out and it's max. It's standard adjustments like any. But luckily the rear has plenty of room to adjust. I'm going to take more out on the rear for me; even at 15-20lbs lighter than the spring rated for it feels much better and stable for me. The front though not much I can do but respring it :(

#26 ·
So I just adjusted the suspension setting to what Dave has going on in the video .... I’m about 172 lbs with no gear on so I happen to fall into that weigh category almost perfectly. I would have to say I saw a huge improvement in the handling or the bike over what I had to set to stock. The front end seems way more stable and turns so much better . The rear of the bike seemed almost foreign to me as now it actually moves . I guess I just took the stock super hard feel so what I was used to but this bike rides way nicer now. The biggest change was in the front end feel for me . It feels so much some stable and solid under cornering and braking . Feeling the rear actually absorb the bumps was a new feeling as well. I would def recommend checking this guy out . Forth the $40 bucks for sure !!!!

#34 ·
I have a 2019 v4s and spent a bunch of. time with Dave. I upgraded my fork oil and front springs. I dialed in my fixed and custom settings, and of course my sag. The bike is a different bike now. Well with the time investing in that and in a few sessions with Dave Moss over FaceTime. For reference I am 6ft, 185 pounds

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.