LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Dave Moss on the V4 suspension

Dave's first impression

https://www.facebook.com/Y2Wheelscom...omment_mention
cavlino and Ducv4 like this.

2018 Multistrada 1260 Pikes Peak
2016 Monster 1200 R

2016 Panigale 959 (gone but not forgotten)
post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 08:27 PM

Nice comments. Would have liked for him to have ridden a V4s too with the electronic Ohlins.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 09:40 AM

Wonder if current owners agree that the suspension is very stiff, and that the stock grips should be replaced due to the stretched out riding position. Glad to hear how light and manageable the bike feels though.
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeman View Post
Wonder if current owners agree that the suspension is very stiff, and that the stock grips should be replaced due to the stretched out riding position. Glad to hear how light and manageable the bike feels though.
I was sitting on the V4 today. I can't yet comment on the stiffness of the suspension but the riding position is perfect for my 5'8" frame. It's actually more comfortable around the knee area than my 959 which could benefit from rear-sets as the pegs are 1/2 inch too low for my legs.
SixShock likes this.

2016 Monster 1200 R

post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarR View Post
I was sitting on the V4 today. I can't yet comment on the stiffness of the suspension but the riding position is perfect for my 5'8" frame. It's actually more comfortable around the knee area than my 959 which could benefit from rear-sets as the pegs are 1/2 inch too low for my legs.
Yeah I also came off the 959, the seat/tuck positions are much more comfortable. What I need to know is the info on the Showa/Sachs rates so I can give them to dave, nobody has that information though, I might reach out to DNA.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeman View Post
The grips seems ok to me, but the suspension seems very, very stiff for me for the street. I am 240 pounds and when I hit even small/medium sized bumps in road it bounces me off rear seat. I must foresee any bumps and stand on pegs at least 2-3 inches off seat or bike launches up into my nuts.

I think I need to adjust preload on Sachs spring but there doesn't look to be very many turns left on the rear shock. I am checking with Ducati Omaha looks like they have a good range of Ohlins springs that work on the Sachs(base model) suspension.

I was thinking of using the stock spring on race days then getting a more cushy spring for street use.

Not sure if the upgraded Ohlins suspension is as stiff, or if preload sag can be set electronically or not. If had to do over again would maybe have considered paying the $$$ for the V4 S!
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 01:08 PM

Bought a V4s yesterday. I still need to read more about the sag. The Ohlins suspension defaults to dynamic mode so reacts in an active way to the road. I did a twisty ride on the way home and found it really nice. Not at all too stiff. The suspension can be set up pretty much any way you want including full manual mode where you can enter suspension values via the instrument panel just like using clickers. I went for the S model just because of the suspension.
Notoryus1 likes this.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 01:19 PM

Did you ever find out any info on stock rates were?

This chart from Ducati Omaha seems to show a range of replacement springs:

75 N/mm = < 165 lbs.
80 N/mm = 165-185 lbs.
85 N/mm = 185-205 lbs.
90 N/mm = 205-225 lbs.
95 N/mm = 225-245 lbs.
100 N/mm = >245 lbs.

(https://www.ducatiomaha.com/products...panigale-sachs)

Knowing the stock rear stiffness would help in choosing a new rear spring...
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 04:34 PM
Super Moderator

Even the dealers that have been test riding these say the suspension are stiff... hopefully I'll find out tomorrow
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducv4 View Post
I am 240 pounds and when I hit even small/medium sized bumps in road it bounces me off rear seat. I must foresee any bumps and stand on pegs at least 2-3 inches off seat or bike launches up into my nuts.

I think I need to adjust preload on Sachs spring but there doesn't look to be very many turns left on the rear shock.
Given your weight, pre-load may be fine. Check your sag.
What you describe sounds more like too much compression damping. Try clicking it down a notch or two and take it from there.

2016 Monster 1200 R

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page