Rear cylinders shut down - Ducati Panigale V4 Forum
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-28-2018, 07:46 AM Thread Starter

Rear cylinders shut down

Apparently the most recent system update enables the rear cylinders to shut down after a certain period of time based on either inactivity for fuel economy or temperature management.

2018 Multistrada 1260 Pikes Peak
2016 Monster 1200 R

2016 Panigale 959 (gone but not forgotten)
post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-28-2018, 09:01 PM

I wonder if that is what is different about mine...I took it in for the 600 mile service and when i got it back it makes a very different sound when idling. When I pull the clutch at all or an gas it switches back...you think?
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 01:43 PM

Garage
DarR is correct, the rear cylinders now shut down when idling, for both points he mentioned above. I'm picking mine bike back up on Tuesday after having its 600 miles service, the technician has ran through some up the updates and this was one that stood out to me
post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 11:26 AM
tyr

People just couldn't live without the V-twin, so they made it available to V4 owners at stop lights.
dflowerz likes this.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 04:16 PM

I ordered mine six months ago

But I specified the full Akrapovic which caused even more delays.

During that period Ducati installed this "kill the rear cylinders" thing.

The bike I ordered ran all all cylinders all the time.

The bike I'm picking up this Thursday better run on all of the cylinders all of the time or I will not accept it.
Panzer07 likes this.

2008 S4RS Tricolore 2008 848>1040 2011 MTS S-Touring
2014 1199S Panigale 2018 V4S Stradale
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarR View Post
Apparently the most recent system update enables the rear cylinders to shut down after a certain period of time based on either inactivity for fuel economy or temperature management.
This may come as a huge surprise to Ducati, but people like me do not buy motorcycles like this for "fuel economy".

It is clear to me that Ducati has abandoned people like us but I actually think this makes good business sense.

For every one of us there are 10 Starbucks Cruisers and Ducati has made a corporate decision to serve the larger market.

Fair enough, but had I known this six months ago I would not have ordered this bike.
Panzer07 likes this.

post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 04:49 PM
tyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by oleary View Post
This may come as a huge surprise to Ducati, but people like me do not buy motorcycles like this for "fuel economy".

It is clear to me that Ducati has abandoned people like us but I actually think this makes good business sense.

For every one of us there are 10 Starbucks Cruisers and Ducati has made a corporate decision to serve the larger market.

Fair enough, but had I known this six months ago I would not have ordered this bike.
Just get a refund on your deposit and walk away, it sounds like you have yet to take delivery and it doesn't seem like no matter what they do it will be what you want, so might as well bow out rather than spend quite a bit of money on something that won't make you happy.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyr View Post
Just get a refund on your deposit and walk away, it sounds like you have yet to take delivery and it doesn't seem like no matter what they do it will be what you want, so might as well bow out rather than spend quite a bit of money on something that won't make you happy.
EXACTLY!!

I have asked that they deliver the bike I ordered six months ago or not at all.

And they can keep the damned deposit.

Sadly, the owners and much of the staff used to be good friends of mine. This affair has done huge damage to that relationship.
Panzer07 likes this.

post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 12:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oleary View Post
I read you and we're on the same page.
Although I posted that update news about the rear cylinder shut down thing, I have mixed opinions as to whether I like it or not. I'll really only be able to pass judgment when I get to ride the bike fully. It would probably be less threatening if it could be enabled or disabled by the user.

2018 Multistrada 1260 Pikes Peak
2016 Monster 1200 R

2016 Panigale 959 (gone but not forgotten)

Last edited by DarR; 05-15-2018 at 12:32 AM.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarR View Post
I read you and we're on the same page.
Note: My bike was delayed because I specified the full Akrapovic and I knew that goin' in.

Sent to my dealer this evening:

Gentlemen,

I think I have made it clear that I will not accept this motorcycle in its current (28/04/2018) configuration.

Why is that?

Because this not the motorcycle I ordered six months ago and it is not the motorcycle I saw at the Vancouver bike show.

How can we fix this?

I see several alternatives:

(1) 1st choice. I put this question to my service manager, "With the Ducati Performance software installed will it run on all of the cylinders all of the time". He has not yet responded but know he's working on it.

(2) Flash it back to the way it was when I ordered it. Sadly, that is not an option. Why? Because some bright spark at Volkswagen (owner of Audi and Ducati) decided it would be a brilliant idea to come up with illegal software designed to defeat pollution testing. I believe it has cost them $2 billion USD and counting? Thanks for that, guys. 🙄

(3) Buy the $669.00 USD + tax Rexxer User kit. Sadly, this kit is not yet available for the V4 - yet. Interestingly, this kit works wonderfully on my MTS and 1199S track bike.

(4) Write two lines of computer code that would allow us to turn this function off. This would cost about $2.43 and totally fix the problem. Gosh, my wife’s little Mercedes station wagon and her Audi both have this EXACT SAME FUNCTION.

Also, I discussed this matter with my friend ****** (track mate) who has a whole bunch of bikes (including BMW’s, Ducatis and Aprilias), and a Porsche GT4, and a Ferrari, and several BMWs, etc. Oh, and his wife drives a drop-dead gorgeous Mercedes. Interestingly, ALL of his machines have the option of turning things like “kill the engine when you stop" - OFF.

Then I spoke with my friend M*** who owns one of Canada’s largest motorcycle museums. His collection includes a bunch of Ducatis including some really iconic ones. Oh, and his daily driver is a 9**. In fact, I’ll be over to his shop tomorrow morning to set up the suspension on his newest Ducati track bike. But I digress. M***'s response? “Are they out of their minds?"

I surveyed 14 of my fellow Ducatisti (including R**** and M*** mentioned above).

They are all track or riding buddies and all own Ducati(s) and lots of other bikes.

Their reaction - to a man - was IDENTICAL:

(1) “Ha hah ha, funny guy, … Jerry always likes to joke around.”

(2) I said, “No, this real - AND IT IS NOT AN OPTION”

(3) EVERY single person had the same reaction. UTTER DISBELIEF. “There’s no way Ducati would do ever do something this f***ing stupid!” (thank you, J-M), ……. or variants thereof.

(4) “Jer, you're getting old and stupid, Ducati must have a way to turn this thing off”

(5) To which I replied, “No - IT IS MANDATORY."

Then I sent the general manger this:

"And if this deal goes totally off the rails ... please donate my deposit to the charity of your choice."

Last edited by oleary; 05-15-2018 at 02:16 AM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page