Rear cylinders shut down - Page 2 - Ducati Panigale V4 Forum
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

@oleary
I really feel for your situation and side with your dissatisfaction about being forced to update without your consent.
As I have mentioned previously, the rear cylinder shut down thing should be option-able where it could be enabled or disabled by the user.
Hopefully, Ducati will re-update it as such soon to allow the owner to choose his preference although that does not help you right now.
oleary likes this.

2018 Multistrada 1260 Pikes Peak
2016 Monster 1200 R

2016 Panigale 959 (gone but not forgotten)
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 04:16 PM

Direct from Ducati

Idle (Neutral) and gear engaged and clutch lever completely pulled in (clutch switch pressed) – Coolant temp between 75-85C - Rear bank will disable after 30 seconds.

Idle (Neutral) and gear engaged and clutch lever completely pulled in (clutch switch pressed) - Coolant above 85C – Rear bank immediately disabled.

Note: My bike has the full Akra and the "Ducati Performance" software.

So I said, OK, if I'm riding down the highway at 120 kms AND I roll the throttle to idle AND the engine temp is above 85C will the two rear cylinders quit?

Ducati's answer? "We don't know"

Do I pick the bike up on Thursday - or not?

2008 S4RS Tricolore
2008 848>1040 (track)
2011 MTS S-Touring
2014 1199S Panigale (track)
2018 V4S Panigale (track)

Last edited by oleary; 05-15-2018 at 04:21 PM.
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 05:27 PM
tyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by oleary View Post
Idle (Neutral) and gear engaged and clutch lever completely pulled in (clutch switch pressed) – Coolant temp between 75-85C - Rear bank will disable after 30 seconds.

Idle (Neutral) and gear engaged and clutch lever completely pulled in (clutch switch pressed) - Coolant above 85C – Rear bank immediately disabled.

Note: My bike has the full Akra and the "Ducati Performance" software.

So I said, OK, if I'm riding down the highway at 120 kms AND I roll the throttle to idle AND the engine temp is above 85C will the two rear cylinders quit?

Ducati's answer? "We don't know"

Do I pick the bike up on Thursday - or not?
That is some straight crap. 167F is not that warm...while usually moving I don't get up there, it doesn't take long sitting around to hit that, or any sort of stop/go traffic crap will get you there quick...I'm starting to wonder if the demo bike I was riding around for quite some time had that update or not? If it did it was pretty seamless. Not a big fan of those numbers/situations though. Tough decision.
oleary likes this.
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 05:57 PM

The cylinder deactivation will not occur if the motorcycle measures wheel speed.

So I asked,

Given your description of the system:

If I stop at a light AND kick the bike into neutral (as I always do) AND let the clutch out (as I always do) AND the engine temp is above +85C the rear cylinders should start up again, right?

2008 S4RS Tricolore
2008 848>1040 (track)
2011 MTS S-Touring
2014 1199S Panigale (track)
2018 V4S Panigale (track)

Last edited by oleary; 05-15-2018 at 06:00 PM.
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 06:01 AM

Omg

I don't see why your moaning, personally i think its a great idea, very clever
Whats the problem!
i've had mine done no issues at all
ddd269 likes this.
post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 06:40 AM
tyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgriff4740 View Post
I don't see why your moaning, personally i think its a great idea, very clever
Whats the problem!
i've had mine done no issues at all
It does sound like **** and if you don't have to worry about heat why bother with the "feature," it would be nice to turn it off.
post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 08:08 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah almost makes me feel like one of them eco friendly jeeps going silent for a moment; but at least it engages quickly when you let out the clutch even the slightest. I was almost hoping it helped w/ the heat from the rear cylinders but can't tell the difference once it's already hot
post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 11:47 AM

I don't see this being that big of a deal. It probably won't sway me buying one when the time comes. But I'll sit here in the rafters and see what everyone thinks after experiencing this new mod. I don't really see it having much impact on performance. And at least they are working on containing heat.
ddd269 likes this.
post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 02:44 PM

They might be working on containing heat but get stuck in traffic and this bike gets really warm!
post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 03:06 PM
tyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by southeastduc View Post
I don't see this being that big of a deal. It probably won't sway me buying one when the time comes. But I'll sit here in the rafters and see what everyone thinks after experiencing this new mod. I don't really see it having much impact on performance. And at least they are working on containing heat.
It's not a mod. If you haven't even ridden the demo you won't know what we're talking about. It's annoying that it can't be disabled. Yes I'm bitching. Is it a big deal? No. Does it make this bike any less fun? No. Honestly they are trying to deal with heat issues for the plebs IMO. Yes the bike is hot when you can't straight out 60+. It's what happens when you stuff 200hp under your crotch. I'd rather have it hot as **** (as it already is, disabling 2 cylinders probably doesn't do that much) and running on all 4.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page