Is the V4S worth the price bump? - Ducati Panigale V4 Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 11:27 PM Thread Starter

Is the V4S worth the price bump?

Hey folks - Going to pull the trigger on my V4 in a couple of days and would love to know the opinion of forum members. I'm a moderately experienced rider who will realistically ride the bike mostly on the street. As owners, do you feel the S spec would even be appreciated on the street or is it simply taking overkill to an even further limit? Thanks much! So excited to join this party!
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 03:50 PM

Hi there - I've just got my V4S a week or so ago. I can say that even in the 400 miles I've done it's nice to be able to change up the suspension settings through the dash depending on the riding conditions. The fact it auto adapts and changes as you ride was one of the main reasons for going for the 'S'

time will tell if I end up just leaving it in street mode all the time. I haven't ridden a V4 vs V4S so cant comment on how each feels.

I watched a lot of videos / reviews before going for the V4S over the V4 as the general opinion was the active suspension is better / nicer to have. The MCN (motorcyclenews) review is good.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 09:32 PM

If you plan to just street, then no a regular rider wouldn't feel the changes in ohlins/marchensinis.

If you plan to race/take TDs more seriously than no, problem with the electronic suspension is that racers ability demands/inputs are more precise than the electronic adjustment can make.

Now if you do double duty street with occasional trackdays than yeah S is all you need.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixShock View Post
If you plan to just street, then no a regular rider wouldn't feel the changes in ohlins/marchensinis.

If you plan to race/take TDs more seriously than no, problem with the electronic suspension is that racers ability demands/inputs are more precise than the electronic adjustment can make.

Now if you do double duty street with occasional trackdays than yeah S is all you need.
I heard similar feedback from someone that used to ride an 899 every day to work in back. Most of his riding was on challenging city/highway riding.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

Pretty much what I thought...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixShock View Post

Thanks for the reply - that's what I pretty much figured. I think I will be in that category as I will do the occasional track day with it. I also figured that the S might ultimately be safer in the street - the electronic suspension likely does a better job adapting to road conditions and hence with managing The V4's power.

Picked up my S on Friday - guess we'll find out soon enough.

Thanks again!
oleary likes this.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 06:09 PM

Garage
If you have the money spring for the S. Onlins is an amazing setup. This electronic auto adjust is great. Also you can manually adjust it as well.... like I said the wheels and the suspension are great. Ive run and S on a bunch of stuff 1098s / 1199s / 1100s multistrada / monster s4rs . It makes quite a difference . If you plan on getting better and becoming a more experienced rider you will eventually head to a track day or two and then you will really really be excited about making the S choice .

grip bars , grab throttle and twist !
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 09:08 AM
tyr

If I were to do it again, I would not buy the S. I'd go with the base, proper setup, carbon wheels and aftermarket exhaust with the extra money that would get you the S. Or if money isn't a factor just go with the S and add those, but in my opinion it's not worth the price tag that it adds.
SixShock likes this.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

So in the end the dealer would let me test the stock V4 but not the S. I decided to get the S figuring that on the rough Texas highways the electronic suspension would pay off. So far I think I overbought. At least for the first few hundred miles on road, really can't say I can appreciate much difference between the two. I think you had the best advice - just wish I'd seen the comment before buying.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootir View Post
So in the end the dealer would let me test the stock V4 but not the S. I decided to get the S figuring that on the rough Texas highways the electronic suspension would pay off. So far I think I overbought. At least for the first few hundred miles on road, really can't say I can appreciate much difference between the two. I think you had the best advice - just wish I'd seen the comment before buying.
you either need to respring it or adjust the dynamic suspension about 3-4 levels down on the front and rear; or it's like rock hard... also need to take out a lot of preload depending on your weight (I'm assuming you're in the 180lbs or less range).
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootir View Post
Even more of reason for me to make it out to motorcycle shows. Some of those Ducati reps I have come across were the most welcoming at offering rides.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page