Tie Down to the trailer - Ducati Panigale V4 Forum
 3Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 28
Angry Tie Down to the trailer

Hello all,
I tied down my bike successfully using the attachments to the lower part of the front suspension (shocks) and it worked well.

When I got to the Dealership, the guy told me that was bizarre, and I should buy a handle bar strap, so I did...SADLY after I used it, which actually looked great, as it compresses the front suspension, I drove 40 miles and when I arrived...the handle bar rubber was completely destroyed and the throttle control assembly was broken...Part will cost me 280 USD plus labor!

Any suggestions how to properly tie down the front of the bike to the trailer?
Also, every time I want to use my trailer, I have to install the REAR PEGS, which is where I tie it down on the rear...Any suggestions on that as well, or that is the only place on the V4.

I really appreciate any inputs on this issue.
Thank you
LCL:sad:
brazeagle is offline  
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 08:23 PM
Senior Member
 
DarR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 110
@brazeagle
One of the advantages of a single sided swing arm is using your Pit-Bull rear stand combined with wrapping ratcheted straps to both side of the rear wheel. That's rock solid. I use canyon dancers and a wheel chock for the front. The new Canyon Dancers look much more functional than the originals.

Another item to consider for the rear is something like the Racing Tie Down Hooks by Sato Racing.
https://www.satoracing.com/index_racinghooks.htm

I've seen a few similar home made ones as the Sato pieces are stupid expensive for what they are. Then again, we own Ducati's.

2018 Multistrada 1260 Pikes Peak
2016 Monster 1200 R

2016 Panigale 959 (gone but not forgotten)

Last edited by DarR; 06-16-2018 at 08:31 PM.
DarR is offline  
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 12:14 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Midwest
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by brazeagle View Post
Hello all,
I tied down my bike successfully using the attachments to the lower part of the front suspension (shocks) and it worked well.

When I got to the Dealership, the guy told me that was bizarre, and I should buy a handle bar strap, so I did...SADLY after I used it, which actually looked great, as it compresses the front suspension, I drove 40 miles and when I arrived...the handle bar rubber was completely destroyed and the throttle control assembly was broken...Part will cost me 280 USD plus labor!

Any suggestions how to properly tie down the front of the bike to the trailer?
Also, every time I want to use my trailer, I have to install the REAR PEGS, which is where I tie it down on the rear...Any suggestions on that as well, or that is the only place on the V4.

I really appreciate any inputs on this issue.
Thank you
LCL:sad:
Sorry to hear about the damage to your grips.

I was going to strap my bike in using same type of handle bar strap I have used before on other bikes, but am now hesitating.

There seem to be a couple of strapless methods similar to DarR's suggestion.

https://www.motodracing.com/strapless-transport-stands

and Pitbull:

https://www.pit-bull.com/motorcycle-...ler-restraints

Need to see if either has pins for the Panigale V4 yet...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MotoD.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	270   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pitbull.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	272  

Last edited by Ducv4; 06-17-2018 at 12:16 AM. Reason: typo
Ducv4 is offline  
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 03:13 AM
Senior Member
 
oleary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 114
Trailering

I'm with DarR, chocks (I use Baxleys) and canyon dancers (bar straps).

I have towed to tracks all over Western Canada and USA for many years with no problems.

2008 S4RS Tricolore
2008 848>1040 (track)
2011 MTS S-Touring
2014 1199S Panigale (track)
2018 V4S Panigale (track)
oleary is offline  
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 08:04 PM
tyr
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by oleary View Post
I'm with DarR, chocks (I use Baxleys) and canyon dancers (bar straps).

I have towed to tracks all over Western Canada and USA for many years with no problems.
Same. Chocks and canyon dancers.

You can in a pinch loop through the rear wheel as well if there's nothing to tie the rear down from.
tyr is offline  
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 28
Thanks for all the inputs.

I still would like to know if strapping the lower part of the shocks in the front wheel is ok!, I have done that a few times very securely.

I am going to use a SATO racing Hook for the rear.

please have a look at the picture and advise.

Thanks a lot again.
LCL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180617_200203.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	179.1 KB
ID:	274   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180617_200158.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	175.4 KB
ID:	276  
brazeagle is offline  
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 12:12 AM
Senior Member
 
oleary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by brazeagle View Post
Thanks for all the inputs.

I still would like to know if strapping the lower part of the shocks in the front wheel is ok!, I have done that a few times very securely.

I am going to use a SATO racing Hook for the rear.

please have a look at the picture and advise.

Thanks a lot again.
LCL
Personally, I would NEVER put lateral force on a fork tube.
brazeagle and German4rings like this.

2008 S4RS Tricolore
2008 848>1040 (track)
2011 MTS S-Touring
2014 1199S Panigale (track)
2018 V4S Panigale (track)
oleary is offline  
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 28
That is what the Ducati master mechanic told me today...do not do that, it is too low, the fork tube should not have that extra side load and also the shocks surface is plated with ...(do not remember what) and that would remove it...so DO NOT DO IT.

I just found a handlebar strap with CUPS, that they do not affect the soft rubber handles and will stay clear from the switches.

Thanks everyone, I think the problem is solved...I just have to wait for SATO to make a racing hook for the V4 for the rear.

Cheers
LCL
brazeagle is offline  
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 09:30 PM
Senior Member
 
DarR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 110
Following @oleary post in #4 above, I did further research about chocks as I was using a fixed trailer chock.
I looked-up the Baxleys chocks where I have seen many similar, if not identical ones to them at the track.
I'm sold and will buy one of those as they are so handy and versatile on and off the trailer.
https://www.baxleycompanies.com/sport-chock.html

2018 Multistrada 1260 Pikes Peak
2016 Monster 1200 R

2016 Panigale 959 (gone but not forgotten)
DarR is offline  
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 06:27 AM
tyr
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarR View Post
Following @oleary post in #4 above, I did further research about chocks as I was using a fixed trailer chock.
I looked-up the Baxleys chocks where I have seen many similar, if not identical ones to them at the track.
I'm sold and will buy one of those as they are so handy and versatile on and off the trailer.
https://www.baxleycompanies.com/sport-chock.html
Here's one for a 3rd of the price...I clicked that link and I was like "pretty sure mine is very similar and cost nowhere near that."

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have another (that I bought for about the same that stays on my trailer all the time (bolted to the trailer). I have these in my garage just to pull into half the time so I don't have to put it on a kickstand.

This is the one I leave on my trailer:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm aware of all the nice name brand ones, but I've never seen it worth the extra money except for that lift that gets the whole bike off the ground -- those are nice.
tyr is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome